You'll notice that the peppers are broiled before stuffing and baking them to make tuna stuffed bell peppers; this results in the peppers to be roasted and soft rather than raw and crunchy. If you'd rather them be crunchy, feel free to skip the broiling portion of the recipe.
Preparation time: 10 min
Total time: 30 min
- 2 medium bell peppers (orange, yellow or red)
- 50 g red onion, chopped into small pieces
- 2 button mushrooms, chopped into small pieces
- 140 g Elite tuna in sunflower oil, drained
- 75 g chopped cherry tomatoes
- 40 g chopped kalamata olives
- 50 g unsalted cottage cheese
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp dijion mustard
- ½ tsp dried parsley
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- Crushed red pepper (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Sea salt
- Preheat oven to broil (very high temperature).
- Place whole peppers onto a baking sheet and broil for 5-7 minutes, turning once mid-way through broiling. Watch the peppers carefully so you don't completely char them.
- Remove from the heat, and place on a plate to cool.
- Turn oven from broil to 175°C.
- While waiting for the peppers to cool, make your tuna filling.
- Spray a skillet with cooking spray and sauté the onions and mushrooms until soft and fragrant; sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper while cooking.
- Add cooked onion and mushroom into a medium size mixing bowl.
- Add tuna, tomatoes, olives, cottage cheese, lemon juice, olive oil, mustard, parsley and oregano to the bowl as well.
- Break apart tuna with a fork and stir all the ingredients together.
- Season to taste with crushed red pepper and ground pepper (it should not need any additional salt).
- Once the broiled peppers are cool enough to handle, carefully cut the peppers in half, remove seeds and membranes (be careful as it may still be hot inside).
- Lay the 4 pepper halves on the baking sheet and fill with the tuna mixture. You should have just enough tuna to fill the 4 pepper halves. If you have extra, you can eat it on the side or save it for later.
- Place peppers in the oven for 10-15 minutes, until warm all the way through. Remove from oven, serve and enjoy.
Do you like this recipe? Leave your comments below and please rate and share to help us continue to bring you more of the recipes you love.