Here's a wonderful way to incorporate fruit and fibre into your first meal of the day, and it's delicious too!
Makes: 4 servings
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups oatmeal (quick or old-fashioned, uncooked)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 1 cup low-fat or fat-free vanilla yogurt (optional)
- Additional dried cranberries (optional)
- In medium saucepan, bring orange juice, water, salt and cinnamon to a gentle boil. Stir in oats and cranberries.
- Return to a boil; reduce heat to medium. Cook 1 minute for quick oats, 5 minutes for old fashioned oats or until most of liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- Let stand until desired consistency. Spoon oatmeal into four cereal bowls. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon walnuts and, if desired, 1/4 cup yogurt and additional cranberries.
Need it in a pinch? Microwave directions:
- In 3-quart microwaveable bowl, combine all ingredients except yogurt and nuts. Microwave on high 4 to 6 minutes for quick oats and 7 to 9 minutes for old fashioned oats or until most of liquid is absorbed.
- Let stand until desired consistency. Top each serving with walnuts and, if desired, yogurt and additional cranberries.