Recipe by Stefania Tabone
- 1 round sheet of puff or shortcrust pastry, about 200 g
- 350 g zucchini
- 350 g of carrots
- oil for brushing
- salt to taste, for the béchamel sauce
- 300 ml of milk
- 25 g butter
- 25 g flour
- 40 g grated parmesan cheese
- 2 medium eggs
- a pinch of grated nutmeg
- salt to taste
- For the béchamel sauce: place the butter in a small saucepan and let it melt. Now add the flour and let it brown for a couple of minutes. Pour in the milk, at room temperature, and stir until you have a smooth and rather thick sauce; then add a pinch of salt and nutmeg. Transfer the béchamel sauce to a bowl and let it cool at room temperature.
- For the vegetables: first make sure that all zucchini and carrots are evenly sized, so you'll have slices that are similar in thickness, so cut off the ends of the zucchini, that have been washed, and slice into very thin slices, 1-2 mm at the most and repeat with the carrots.
- Now take a 22 cm round tart pan, grease with butter and cover the bottom with the sheet of puff pastry (or shortcrust pastry if you prefer), press well and fold in the excess dough from the sides, or cut it off.
- Take the cooled béchamel sauce, add the 2 eggs and the parmesan cheese.
- Pour the béchamel mixture into the pan and add the vegetables, arranging them upright, working from the outside to the centre, to create a spiral effect, alternating the zucchini and the carrots.
- Brush a little oil on top and season with salt and pepper if you like. Now bake the tart at 180°C for about 50-60 minutes.
What did you think of this vegetable spiral tart recipe? Did you try it? Let us know what you think of it by rating and commenting below. Share so that we can continue to bring you the content that you love.