Aqra bil-Malti: Riċetta: Torta tal-lumi
After a heavy meal, fresh lemon deserts are great for cleansing your palate, especially if you have eaten something spicy or with a strong flavour.
Time: 2 hours and 15 minutes
For the dough:
- 150 g flour
- 40 g icing sugar, sifted
- 75 g butter
- 1 egg yolk, beaten with a tablespoon of water
For the filling:
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 140 g icing sugar sifted
- Grated zest of 2 lemons
- Juice of 3 lemons
- 250 ml double cream
- Icing sugar, to decorate
- Sift the flour in a bowl and add the butter. Rub the butter into the flour using your fingertips until the mixture reaches a consistency similar to breadcrumbs. Add the icing sugar and mix; add the egg yolk and mix together. Put the mixture on to a table and knead it until it smoothens. Seal it in a plastic bag and place it in the fridge for at least half an hour.
- Grease a round 23cm pie dish with a bit of butter. Roll out pastry and cover the pie dish with it. Make some holes on the bottom using a fork and trim any pastry which goes past the edge of the dish. Cover with baking paper and fill it with dried beans. Place it in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Heat the oven to a temperature of 200°C.
- In the meantime prepare the filling. With an egg beater beat the whole eggs and the egg whites in a bowl, add the sugar and keep beating until you have a smooth mixture. Add the cream, the juice and the zest and mix everything properly.
- Blind bake the pastry for 15 minutes; then remove it from the oven, remove the dried beans and the baking paper and put it back in the oven for another 5 minutes.
- Lower the temperature of the oven to 140°C. Pour in the lemon mixture over the pastry and bake for around an hour or until the filling has solified. Leave it in the pie dish until it cools down.
- Dust some icing sugar on the surface and serve the pie with fresh red fruit such as strawberries or berries.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Leave your comments below and please rate and share to help us bring you more of the recipes you like.
Look at this list of fruit and vegetables according to the season