Aqra din ir-riċetta bil-Malti: Riċetta: Ċanga bil-patata l-forn
Roast potatoes are a traditional Maltese dish, particularly for a Sunday; it is sometimes cooked on its own to accompany another dish, or sometimes it is roasted together with onions and a cut of meat. In this recipe, the meat is cut into bite-sized pieces and the lot is cooked with mushrooms.
Time: 3 hrs 20 min
- 1 kg beef (chuck), cut into 3 cm pieces
- 40 g flour
- 50 g butter
- I tbsp olive oil
- 12 small onions (like the ones used in pickles), peeled
- 250 g mushrooms
- 100 g speck or bacon, cut into 1 cm pieces
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 500 ml red wine
- 500 ml beef stock
- 2 tbsp tomato paste (kunserva)
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the potatoes:
- 80 g butter, melted
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp thyme leaves
- 4 large white potatoes, washed and cut into thin rounds
- Green beans, boiled, to serve
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Place flour in a large bowl and add salt and pepper. Add pieces of beef and coat lightly.
- Heat half the butter and oil in a large frying pan on high heat.
- Add a quarter of the meat to the pan and stir until browned all over. Transfer to a plate and repeat the process with the rest of the meat.
- Clean the frying pan, add the rest of the butter and oil and heat on moderate.
- Add the onions and fry for 3 minutes, then add the mushrooms and fry for 3 more minutes.
- Add the speck or bacon and the garlic and continue to fry for 2 more minutes.
- Add the meat to the onions and pour over the wine, the stock and the tomato paste; stir.
- When the mixture comes to a boil, remove from heat and add the bay leaf and sprigs of thyme.
- Transfer the mixture to an oven dish. Cover with foil and bake for 2 hours.
- Remove the dish from the oven and increase the temperature to 200°C. Add salt and pepper.
- Combine the melted butter, garlic and thyme leaves in a bowl. Add the potatoes, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Place the potatoes on the meat and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place the dish in the oven once again and bake for 30 minutes or until the potato is cooked and browned to your liking.
- Serve with boiled green beans.
Do you like this recipe? Leave your comments below and please rate and share to help us bring you more of the recipes you like.