Ara din ir-riċetta bil-Malti: Fjuri tal-patata fil-forn
This is a lovely make-ahead recipe for delicious potato florets: just prepare the mixture, create the forms and leave in the fridge to place in the oven 20 minutes prior to serving time; this saves preparation time on the day if you are having guests. Make extra if you are having children at the table as their attractive presentation makes them very popular with kids.
Serves: 4 persons
- 900 g white potatoes, peeled and cut into large pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup double cream
- 4 tbsp butter
- 3 egg yolks
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Add a teaspoon of salt and place on high heat. When it comes to the boil, reduce heat and allow to simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- Meanwhile melt 2 tablespoons of butter to use later. Preheat oven to 230 C.
- Drain the pototoes in a colander and return to the pot. Place the pot on very low heat for about a minute to evaporate any remaining water from the potatoes.
- Remove from heat, add 2 tablespoons butter and mash. Add the nutmeg, pepper and double cream and continue to mash. Finally add the salt and egg yolks and continue to mash until the mixture is well-combined.
- Use a piping bag with a star shape to create flowers on a greased baking sheet. Coat with melted butter and bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Leave your comments below and please rate and share to help us bring you more of the recipes you like.