Aqra bil-Malti: Riċetta: Blalen tal-ġewż
These walnut balls are so delicious that it is most likely you will be unable to stop eating them before they are all gone, therefore we recommend you double the quantities in the recipe at the start. You can use hazelnuts or pecans instead of walnuts, and if you are doubling the recipe you may wish to make half with one type of nut and the other half with another.
Makes: 20 balls
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 ½ cups of walnuts, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 115 g butter, room temperature
- Icing sugar, to coat (about 1 cup)
- Preheat oven to 150°C. Line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- Mix together all the dry ingredients - the flour, walnuts, salt and sugar - in a large bowl. Add the vanilla essence.
- Cut up the butter in small pieces and add to the bowl. Mix with your hands until the ingredients are combined in a rough mixture.
- Make balls the size of a walnut and place them on the baking sheet. Allow about 2 cm space between them.
- Bake for 35 minutes. When they cool down but are still relatively warm, coat them in icing sugar. Allow to cool completely and coat again with icing sugar.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Leave your comments below and please rate and share to help us bring you more of the recipes you like.