This recipe was given to us by one of our readers, Stefania Tabone.
- 400g ricotta cheese
- 300g spinach leaves
- 40g grated parmeggian cheese
- 20g breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sesame seeds
- 500g short crust pastry
- Boil spinach for one minute and drain well. Pat dry as much as possible. Mix dry spinach with ricotta cheese. Add 1 egg and the parmeggian cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roll out half of the dough first in a circular shape.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs on the dough (helpful hint: to absorb excess moisture of the mixture).
- Place a large dollop of the spinach filling in the middle of the circle and spread the remainder in a ring about 1 inch from the edge of the circle and not touching the middle dollop. (As seen in the picture).
- Lightly brush the edges of the dough with water to help seal the pie.
- Place the second circle of dough over the spinach filling. Arrange it so the edges of the dough meet. Press the edges together with a fork all the way around.
- Place a bowl carefully over the dough covered spinach mound in the centre of the circle and gently but firmly press down to seal the dough. Leave bowl in place and using kitchen scissors or a sharp knife cut the pie in 20-24 slices from the bowl to the edge. (As seen in the picture).
- Twist each slice so the spinach shows. Remove the centre bowl. Mix the remaining egg with 1 tablespoon of water and brush all over the dough. Sprinkle the centre with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until dough is a deep golden brown.
Did you enjoy reading this recipe? Let us know what recipes you'd like us to bring you by sharing, rating and commenting on those recipes you like.