It's that time of year when hot cross buns are particularly relished. Here is one recipe that allows you to enjoy more of them with less of the guilt: sugar free hot cross buns with no butter.
- 4 cups of plain flour
- 1 sachet dried yeast
- 1 tbsp honey
- ½ cup stevia
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 30 ml olive oil
- 120 ml milk
- 2 eggs
Flour paste for the crosses:
- ½ cup plain flour
- Combine all dry ingredients in large bowl and give a bit of stir.
- Heat milk until lukewarm, stir in the olive oil and honey.
- Add warm milk mixture and eggs to dry ingredients. Use a butter knife to mix until dough almost comes together and forms a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes until nice and smooth. Place into an oiled bowl. Cover with a dish cloth and place in a dry place until dough doubles in size.
- Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Punch dough down to its original size. Knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Divide into 12 ball-shaped portions and place them on the baking tray. Leave for around half an hour to double in size.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Make the flour paste for the crosses: mix flour and water together in a small bowl until smooth, adding a little more water if paste is too thick.
- Spoon flour paste into a piping bag and pipe over tops of buns to form crosses. Bake for 20 minutes or until buns are cooked.
Do you like this recipe? Leave your comments below and please rate and share to help us bring you more of the recipes you like.