Ara din ir-riċetta bil-Malti: Spalla tal-majjal mixwija bil-basal tal-bużbież
Serves: 8 persons
- 2 kg rolled shoulder of boneless pork
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp coarse salt
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 20 g butter
- 2 large cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 fennel bulbs, cleaned and sliced lengthwise
- 3 green apples, remove core and seeds and slice thinly
- 355 ml dry apple cider
- Heat the oven to 160 C. Slice the skin of the pork with a knife about 2 cm apart. Rub with olive oil, salt and fennel seeds.
- Use a casserole dish (or any oven dish that can take a stove fire); heat oil on high heat. Add the pork and scorch it on all sides for about 8 minutes, until it is golden. Place the pork shoulder in a plate.
- Reduce to medium heat and add butter, garlic and fennel bulbs. Fry for 6-8 minutes until the fennel is soft. Add apples and cider. Bring to the boil and stir while scraping the bottom of the dish with a wooden spoon. Add the pork and cover with foil.
- Bake for 2 hours or until the pork is cooked from the inside (when you insert a stick the juices are clear). Allow the shoulder to sit for 15 minutes prior to serving with the fennel mixture.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Leave your comments below and please rate and share to help us bring you more of the recipes you like.