For the salad: Beetroot is available all year round and adding it to your salads in the summer months is a great idea since, apart from being tasty and colourful it is a great antioxidant.
Time: 1 hour
- 4 butterflied chicken breasts
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- Teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 300 g long grain rice
- 500 g beetroot
- 4 spring onions, thinly chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- Zest and juice of an orange
- 1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Olive oil
- 4 tablespoons Greek yoghurt, to serve
- In a bowl, mix together the 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the garlic, the fennel seeds and some salt and pepper and rub the chicken breasts with this mixture. Put them aside.
- Prepare the salad. Put the beetroot in a pot and fill it with water. Boil the beetroot until tender, then drain and let it cool down. Whilst boiling the beetroot boil the rice too, then drain it and place it in a large bowl to cool down. Peel and chop the beetroot into small cubes and add it to the rice; add the onions, mint and basil and stir well.
- In a small bowl beat together the 3 tablespoons of Olive oil, the vinegar, orange juice and zest, salt and pepper. Pour this mixture on to the rice and stir.
- Heat up a griddle pan and grill the chicken breast on each side until they are completely cooked.
- Divide the rice and beetroot mixture between 4 plates; slice the grilled chicken and place it on top of the rice. Serve immediately with Greek yoghurt on the top.
Did you enjoy this recipe and have you tried it? Let us know if it is recipes like this that you would like to see more of by sharing, rating and commenting in the comment box below.