If you are not usually all that adventurous, or would like to be but don't feel that you ever get an opportunity, well, the kitchen is quite a good place to start. Get really culinary creative with this recipe for devilish red velvet cones with hot sauce for a spicy hot dessert.
Makes: 48 cake cones
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 2 tsp salt, fine
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 4 large eggs
- 3 tbsp red food coloring
- 2 tbsp hot sauce
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 48 small, flat-bottomed ice cream cones
Cream cheese icing
- 1 kg cream cheese (softened, whipped)
- 1 stick unsalted butter (softened, whipped)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp hot sauce
- Piping bag with small decorative tip
- Shaker, powdered sugar, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder.
- In another large bowl whisk together the oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, hot sauce and vanilla.
- Using a standing mixer, mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined and a smooth batter is formed.
- Carefully spoon the batter into the ice cream cones, filling them 2/3 of the way up to give them room to rise in the oven.
- Arrange the cones on a parchment-lined sheet tray standing up and place them into the oven to bake at 180 C for approximately 15-20 minutes, or until they have fully risen. They are ready when a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and let them cool completely.
- While the cakes are in the oven, prepare the spicy cream cheese frosting.
- Place the softened cream cheese and the softened butter in a medium-sized mixing bowl and whisk together until smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar and continue to whisk until the mixture is smooth again.
- Add the vanilla extract and the hot sauce and whisk one more minute. You may add more powdered sugar or hot sauce until the icing is flavored to your liking.
- Place the spicy cream cheese frosting into a piping bag with a small decorative tip.
- Using the tip of the piping bag, carefully puncture a small hole into the center of the top of the red velvet cake and pipe approximately 2-3 tablespoons of the spicy cream cheese into the center of the cake, allowing some of the cream cheese to come out of the top for decoration. Continue until all the red velvet cake cones are filled. Use any extra cream cheese icing to frost the tops of the cones.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.