Piccalilli is an English interpretation of Indian pickles, a relish made from chopped pickled vegetables and spices. Recipes may vary considerably and this recipe makes use of Kohlrabi, an annual vegetable related to the cabbage. This recipe is quick to make and ready to use immediately, or it may be stored in a sterilised glass container in the fridge.
- 200 g cucumber
- 200 g kohlrabi
- 200 g courgettes
- 200 g cauliflower
- 200 g string beans
- 200 g small onions
- 1 cider vinegar
- 250 g sugar
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 4 tablespoons grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teapsoon coriander seeds
- 50 g cornflour
- Chop the vegetables into small pieces. Sprinkle with salt and leave covered for 24 hours.
- Bring the vinegar and sugar to simmer.
- Crush the mustard, cumin and coriander seeds. Add the rest of the spices. Add the cornflour and the mustard and a little of the vinegar. Mix until well combined.
- Add the paste to the vinegar that is simmering and cook until it slightly thickens on very low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add the vegetables, mix and store in sterlised jars.
- This piccalilli is ready to eat immediately.
Did you like this recipe? Leave your comments below and please rate and share to help us bring you more of the recipes you enjoy.