It's always very satisfying to bake your own bread; try this easy poppy seed bread recipe.
- 250 g strong flour and some extra for dusting
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp skimmed millk
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp dried yeast
- 175 ml lukewarm water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 egg, beaten, for egg wash
- Sift flour and salt into a bowl and stir in the sugar and yeast.
- Make a well in the centre and pour in the milk and water, then the oil and mix until the dough comes together.
- Add the poppy seeds and knead until combined.
- Place on a floured surface and knead well for 10 minutes until smooth.
- Brush a bowl with oil. Shape the dough into a ball, cover and leave to rise in a warm place for an hour or until doubled in volume.
- Cover a baking sheet with greaseproof paper.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces, shape into round balls, place on the baking sheet and leave to rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Beat the egg and use a brush to glaze the surface of the loaf. Sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Bake in a preheated oven for half an hour until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool.
Do you like this recipe? Would you like to see more bread recipes? Leave your comments below and please rate and share to let us know which recipes you like so that we make sure we deliver that which you are after.