- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- ½ cup vodka
- 500g penne
- 6 tomatoes, peeled, deseeded and chopped
- 1 cup light cream
- ½ cup grated cheese
- 500 ml tomato passata
- Heat the oil in an pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes stirring constantly.
- Add the chilli flakes and oregano. Cook for a minute then add the vodka and simmer for 10 minutes on low heat.
- Add half of the chopped tomatoes, stir, cook for two minutes.
- Then add the tomato passata. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook for 30 minutes on very low heat. Remove from heat. Allow to cool slightly.
- In the meantime cook the pasta according to the instructions on the packet
- Use a hand blender to make a smooth sauce. Return to the pan and gently cook on very low heat. Add the rest of the chopped tomatoes. Do not allow to boil. Add the light cream, stir. Remove from heat and mix in the hot penne. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Stir and serve topped with grated cheese.
Did you like this recipe? Let us know what recipes you would like to see more of by sharing, rating and commenting on the recipes.