There is nothing more delicious than Mediterranean Oranges, an abundance every winter, the trees heavy with the weight of the fruit they bear. The flavor is so much nicer than the imported ones and the orange skin chemical free making a great addition grated in cakes. The combination of orange and coconut is heavenly.
You will need:
- 120g plain flour
- 1 4 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 eggs
- 300g sugar
- Grated rind of 3 oranges
- 50g coconut
- Juice of 1 orange
- Pinch of Salt
- A dusting of icing sugar to decorate the surface
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Line 2 20 cm cake tins with baking paper
- In a bowl sift the flour. Add the salt.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs with an electric mixer using the whisk until they are frothy. Add the sugar a little at a time until the mixture doubles in volume and leaves a ribbon trail. I estimate that it takes about 10 minutes but it also depends on the freshness of the eggs. Add the orange rind and juice. Fold in the coconut.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared tins and bake for 30 minutes.
- Leave to cool, remove from tin.
What did you think of this recipe? Did you try it? Please leave your comments and/ or star rating, below!