At Christmas time, every family cooks their own family dish and not all families like to eat turkey on this occasion; some may prefer alternative dishes such as gammon. Here's a delicious gammon recipe that will impress your guests every time!
- 3 kg smoked gammon joint on the bone
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 litre fresh orange juice
- 2 bay leaves
- About 30 cloves
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon grain mustard
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 4 tablespoons cranberry jam
- Place the gammon in a large pot.
- Add the onion, bay leaves, carrot and orange juice, keeping aside 4 spoons for the glaze. Cover with water and bring to boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Drain and discard the bay leaf.
- Use the vegetables as a side dish.
- Preheat oven to 220 C.
- Use a sharp pointed knife to remove the outer skin from the gammon.
- Score the fat with a criss cross pattern and push a clove into the middle of each diamond.
- In a bowl, mix together the peppercorns, English mustard, honey, jelly and reserved orange juice and brush the glaze over the scored fat.
- Cover with tin foil and roast for an hour; uncover during the last 15 minutes.
- Leave to rest for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Did you like this recipe? Leave your comments below and please rate and share to help us bring you more of the recipes you enjoy.