Most of us have tasted chocolate with mint, especially dark chocolate. This mixture of bitter-sweet chocolate with sweet, fresh mint is irresistible!
Time: 1 hr and 45 minutes, plus cooling time
For the brownie:
- 125 g butter
- 75 g flour
- 125 g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 250 g sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- Pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
For the mint layer:
- 25 g butter, room temperature
- 100 g icing sugar
- 1½ spoons double cream
- ½ teaspoon mint essence
- A couple of green food colouring drops
For the chocolate glaze:
- 100 g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 2 tablespoons double cream
- Heat the oven to a temperature of 160°C. Grease a square baking tin with a height of 23cm (preferably with a detachable base so it will be easier to remove the brownie) and cover it with baking paper.
- To make the brownie: Melt the butter and chocolate in a bain marie. Remove them from the heat, add the sugar and vanilla essence and stir. Add the eggs one by one and beat well, with a wooden spoon or a whisk each time. Add the flour and salt and beat until you end up with a smooth, glistening mixture. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the brownie starts to pull away from the sides of the thin and when a skewer inserted into the centre of the brownie comes out clean. Let it cool down completely (do not remove it from the tin).
- While the brownie cools prepare the mint layer. Using an electric whisk, beat together the butter, the icing sugar, the cream and the mint essence until you have a smooth mixture with a sticky consistency. If it remains a bit hard add more cream and whisk it again. Add the food colouring drop by drop while still whisking until you get the desired colour. Spread the mint mixture on to the brownie and place the tin in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- While it sets, prepare the glaze. Melt the chocolate in a bain marie, add the cream and mix them together properly. Remove the mixture from the heat and let it cool down a bit. Spread the glaze on to the mint layer. Let it cool in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, until the glaze sets.
- Remove the brownies from the tin and divide into portions of 2.5cm each.
Did you enjoy this recipe and have you tried it? Let us know if it is recipes like this that you would like to see more of by sharing, rating and commenting in the comment box below.