Aqra din ir-riċetta bil-Malti: Kejk taċ-ċikkulata u l-pitravi
This is a an unusual chocolate cake: instead of grated carrots we will use grated beet. The colour from the beet lend a deep red colour to the cake without any artificial colouring, and with additional sweetness and softness.
Preparation time: 20 min
Total time: 1 hr 20 min
- 250 g dark chocolate, broken in pieces
- 3 large eggs
- 200 g muscavado sugar
- 100 ml sunflower oil
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 100 g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 50 g pure ground almonds
- 250 g beets
For the frosting:
- 150 g dark chocolate, broken in pieces
- 100 g icing sugar
- 100 g double cream
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 22 cm tin with a little butter and line the bottom with baking paper.
- Peel and grate the beets, place in a colander over a bowl and squeeze as much juice out as possible. Allow it to drip over the bowl for later use.
- Place the chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of hot water (bain marie). Stir the chocolate until it melts and remove from heat.
- Place the eggs, sugar and oil in a bowl and beat well with an electric beater for 3 minutes or until the mixture is well-combined, smooth and creamy.
- Add the vanilla essence, then sieve the flour, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder over it. Gently fold them in and then do the same with the ground almonds, chocolate and beets.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 50-60 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. If you see that the cake is cooking too quickly on the outside, cover the tin with foil. Allow the cake to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then leave it to cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the frosting, place the chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of hot water (bain marie) and stir the chocolate until it melts. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Add the cream and icing sugar and beat until you have a spreadable mixture. Coat the surface and sides of the cake and serve.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Leave your comments below and please rate and share to help us bring you more of the recipes you like.