Maybe you know that the sandwich was invented to make having a meal handy: just put the ingredients between two bits of bread and your meal is ready, portable and easy to eat on-the-go. Tacos are going much the same way with our favourite foods, like meat, potatoes and veg, being placed in a taco with some spices for an easy dinner.
This quick and easy recipe for cheesy potato taco uses hashbrown potatoes out of a packet; you can substitute for double the weight in real potatoes boiled and mashed, the recipe will just take a little bit longer to prepare.
Prep time: 12 min
Cook time: 15 min
Serves: 6-8 persons
- 120g packet hashbrown potatoes
- 450g lean ground beef or turkey
- 450g frozen chopped spinach
- 425g diced tomatoes
- 425g black beans, rinsed and drained
- 425g whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Tortilla chips or warmed tortillas, optional
- Prepare hashbrowns according to instructions.
- Brown ground beef or turkey and onion in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Drain fat. Stir in seasoning.
- Add spinach and stir until thawed.
- Stir hashbrowns, tomatoes, black beans, corn and spinach into beef. Cook until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle cheese over top; cover and cook on low heat until cheese is melted, 3-5 minutes.
- Serve as is with tortilla chips or wrap in a tortilla.