Gorgonzola or blue cheese, with it's slightly salty and prominent flavour, pairs well with fruit and other sweet ingredients such as sweet potatoes. Try this recipe for baked sweet potatoes with cranberry gorgonzola gremolata to amaze your guests and have them asking for more.
Makes: 6 servings
- 6 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 clove garlic, minced finely
- 3 tablespoons minced pecans
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped dried cranberries
- 1 spring onion, minced
- 50g gorgonzola, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 230 C.
- Place sweet potatoes on cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes. Flip over and return to oven to bake until tender - about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- When cool enough to do so safely, peel sweet potatoes.
- Place in a medium skillet over low heat with butter, salt and maple syrup for 5 minutes, basting the potatoes with the butter mixture occasionally.
- Lightly smash the potatoes until there is an even consistency. Hold over low heat.
- To make the gremolata: In a small bowl, toss together parsley, lemon zest, garlic, pecans, cranberries and scallion. Gently fold in the cheese.
- Move sweet potatoes to a serving dish and sprinkle with the gremolata. Serve hot.