Enjoy these almond squares with your afternoon tea or as a treat whenever you feel like something sweet but not too sinful.
For the pastry:
- 100 g flour
- 100 g ground almonds
- 75 g sugar
- 50 g butter
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 egg
For the Almond topping:
- 200 g ground almonds
- 50 g chopped almonds
- 50 g soft brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 100 ml water
- Zest of one orange
- Some icing sugar and flaked almonds to sprinkle on top after baking
- To make the pastry, mix the sugar with the flour and ground almonds, then rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the zest and egg and a little water and form a dough. Knead lightly and leave to chill.
- For the almond topping, mix all the ingredients together and chill.
- Roll out the pastry and cover the bottom of a greased baking tray with the pastry.
- Spread the almond mixture on top with a spatula.
- Bake at 180 C for about 10 minutes until the colour turns to a pale gold.
- Allow to cool. To serve cut into squares and sprinkle with flaked almonds and icing sugar.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Please leave your comments below and kindly rate and share to help us bring you more of the recipes you like.