Ara din ir-riċetta bil-Malti: Fażola ħadra bil-prosciutto u l-pinjol (pine nuts)
This is a rather simple but delicious side dish of green beans; the sweetness of the green beans is combined with the contrasting flavours of prosciutto, pine nuts and lemon rind.
Serves: 8 persons
- 900g green beans
- 2 ½ tsp olive oil
- 80 g strips of prosciutto (cured ham), cut into ribbons
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp fresh sage, finely chopped
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup pine nuts, roasted
- 1½ tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil and place the green beans inside. When it starts to boil again, allow it to simmer for 3-4 minutes then drain.
- Heat 1/2 tsp olive oil in a skillet on medium heat. Add the prosciutto and fry for 4 minutes. Place the prosciutto on kitchen paper.
- Wipe the skillet and heat 2 tsp olive oil on medium heat.
- Add the green beans, garlic, sage, a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix and stir until the beans start to brown in some places.
- Add the pine nuts, the prosciutto and lemon zest and mix well. Serve warm.
Note: You may prepare this side dish in advance and warm it up in a skillet on low heat prior to serving.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Leave your comments below and please rate and share to help us bring you more of the recipes you like.