Aqra din ir-riċetta bil-Malti: Kejk bla butir u bla zokkor.
This is a cake for the health conscious as it has no oil, butter or sugar. It is delicious and if kept in a tight container, it stays fresh for 10 days.
- 250 g dates, chopped
- 100 g cranberries
- 200 ml warm water
- 125 g self-raising flour
- 200 g hazelnuts
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 tsp cloves
- 1⁄4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch mixed spice
- Zest and juice from 1 Maltese orange or mandarin
- Zest and juice from ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp ground almonds
You will need: 1 cake tin 23 cm diametre
- Soak the dates in warm water for an hour.
- Line the cake tin with baking paper.
- With the dates and water combine the flour, hazelnuts, beaten eggs, cloves, cinnamon, orange zest and juice and lemon zest. Mix until well combined.
- Pour the mixture in the cake tin and spread the almonds across the top.
- Bake at 180C in the middle rack for 30-35 minutes.