Most people recognize that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, yet millions often skip their morning meal.
Is your family among that group? If so, don’t write off breakfast as something that just doesn’t work with your family’s lifestyle, there are options you may never have considered.
People skip breakfast for many different reasons. One key reason is lack of interest in what is being offered. To help bring families back to the breakfast table, Kathleen Robbins offers this easy, fun and delicious recipe to get everyone out the door with a little extra spring in their step.
Rise and shine French toast donut breakfast sandwich
- 1 donut (plain, cinnamon or powdered sugar)
- Fried egg
- Crispy bacon
- Sliced cheese (whatever is your favourite)
- Maple glaze (recipe below)
- Ingredients for maple glaze;
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup of powdered sugar
- Turn on oven boiler to high.
- Prepare the glaze: Mix together maple syrup, vanilla extract and powdered sugar. Tip: If the glaze is too thin; add more powdered sugar, if it’s too thick; add a drop of milk.
- Prepare the fried egg and bacon.
- Slice the donut horizontally in half using a serrated knife. Open the donut and place on a baking pan or cookie sheet. Top one side of the donut with the fried egg, bacon and cheese. Place both halves under the broiler until cheese is melted. Take out the baking pan or cookie sheet from the oven. Dip the cut side of the untopped donut in the maple glaze and place glaze down on the other side to finish the sandwich. And enjoy!
- This quick, easy recipe is a delectable way to start your day and get your family eating breakfast again.