Aqra din ir-riċetta bil-Malti: Stuffat veġetarjan bil-patata u ċ-ċiċri stil Indjan
An extraordinary vegetarian dish with various flavours emanating from a number of different spices. The slightly sour tang of the yoghurt compliments the dish fabulously, which can be served on a bed of rice.
Time: 1 hour 20 min
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 large onions, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- 500 g potatoes, washed and cut into quarters
- 1 ½ cup water
- ½ tsp salt
- 500 g canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 400 g tomato polpa
- 500 g carrots, chopped in rounds
- ½ cup fresh mint, chopped
- ¾ cup natural yoghurt
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan with high sides.
- Add the onion and fry for 5-6 minutes or until it starts to brown.
- Add the garlic and fry for another minute.
- Add the cumin seeds, ground cumin, ground coriander, ground cinnamon and cayenne pepper and stir for one minute.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, water and salt. Cover the pan and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas and tomato and stir.
- Allow the sauce to come to a boil and simmer, partially covered, for about 30 minutes or until the carrots have softened. Add more water if required.
- Sprinkle the mint, mix well and serve with yoghurt.
Did you like this recipe? Leave your comments below and please rate and share to help us bring you more of the recipes you enjoy.