Add a twist to your meals this autumn with the addition of the seasonal speciality: nuts and dates. Combine with a little blue cheese and you have a delicious combination of flavours that works every single time. Try this recipe for a walnut-bleu date vinaigrette salad that is simply wonderful.
Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
Ingredients - Sesame date vinaigrette:
- 6 pitted dates
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse Dijon mustard
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of pepper
Ingredients - Salad topping:
- 6 dates, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup chopped walnut halves
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Ingredients - Salad:
- 6 cups mixed salad greens with radicchio and romaine
- 1 cup halved yellow cherub tomatoes
- 1/2 cup crisp Asian pear, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 ounces chopped bleu cheese
- Place dates, sesame oil, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, honey, mustard, salt and pepper in the bowl of a small food processor and puree until smooth.
- Chill while preparing the salad.
- Combine dates, walnuts, honey, brown sugar and salt in a medium skillet.
- Cook over medium-high heat until nuts are toasted and mixture is sticky.
- Transfer to a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray and spread out to cool.
- Divide salad greens among 4 small plates.
- Top with tomatoes and pears.
- Divide bleu cheese crumbled over the top of each salad.
- Top each with cooled topping mixture.
- Drizzle salads with sesame date vinaigrette.