Recipe by Marion Dilnutt
For the venison:
- 230 g venison
- 125 g self raising flour
- 63 g Remia Gold margarine
- 30 g Cadbury Bournville chocolate, grated
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp crushed dry chili flakes
For the spinach:
- 100 g baby leaf spinach
- 2 trimmed & chopped spring onions
- 25 g Remia Gold margarine
- 2 tsp Frisian Flag sweetened condensed milk
- ½ tsp paprika
- Salt & pepper to taste
For the sauce:
- 100 g Remia Gold margarine
- 4 tbsp Frisian Flag sweetened condensed milk
- 4 tsp chilli powder
- 25 g Cadbury cocoa powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 cup red wine (save the rest for drinking!)
- Preheat oven to 200C/400F/gas mark 6
- Slice venison fillet & place on cling wrap and cover with cling wrap & beat with rolling pin until 1/8th inch thick & set aside.
- Place flour, salt and Remia Gold margarine in bowl and using fingertips rub to make fine breadcrumb consistency, add enough water to make a dough, cover and place in fridge to chill for 30mins.
- Grate the Cadbury Bournville chocolate & add chilli flakes. Lightly sear the venison on both sides in Remia Gold margarine and place on kitchen roll and allow to cool.
- Roll out pastry to 12 inches square, trimming the edges.
- Place venison fillets into middle of pastry leaving approximately 1inch on either side, sprinkle chocolate & chilli over venison.
- Dampen edges with egg wash and roll up to make a sausage shape, cut into 2 inch slices and place on a baking tray covered with baking parchment cut side up and brush with egg wash.
- Cook in middle of oven @ 200C/400F/gas mark 6 for approximately 30mins until golden brown and cooked through.
- In a medium sized pan melt the Remia Gold margarine & add spring onions, cook for 3/4mins, add all other ingredients and salt & pepper to taste mix in spinach and cook until spinach has wilted stirring to ensure fully coated.
- For the sauce melt the Remia Gold margarine in medium pan add condensed milk and stir until mixed add rest of the dry ingredients until combined then add the red wine and simmer for approximately 5 mins.
Serve: With orange glazed julienne carrots.
This recipe is part of a competition organised by The Kċina on Facebook. To vote, please visit and 'like' our Facebook page and then 'like' your favourite recipe in the appropriate album.