The sweet potato is a sweet-tasting root vegetable. Despite its name, the sweet potato is only distantly related to the potato. The edible, tuberous root may come in several colours, although the most common varieties found in Malta have pinkish, yellowish or orange flesh with a darker pinkish-purple skin, which tend to be sweeter than the paler-coloured varieties. While sweet potatoes are not a traditional ingredient in local cuisine, they have become readily-available in our stores in recent years and they make an interesting alternative to potato or pumpkin and may be prepared in either sweet or savoury dishes.
- 2 eggs
- 3 small sweet potatoes, roughly 85g each
- 2 tablespoon butter, soft
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup skimmed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Oil in a spray bottle or non-stick cooking spray
- 1 x 22 cm unbaked pie crust
- Non-fat whipping cream (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 175 C.
- Using a fork, stab each sweet potato several times in separate spots. Place in the microwave for about 6 minutes or until very soft and a knife can easily go through them. Once fully cooked, allow potatoes to cool for roughly 5-7 minutes or until they are not too hot to handle.
- Using a potato peeler or knife, remove the skin from the potato and cut the potatoes into chunks.
- Place potato chunks into a medium bowl and add eggs, butter, brown sugar, milk, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon. Using a fork or whisk, mix the ingredients together completely.
- Prepare pie crust according to directions on package.
- Spray the bottom and sides of the pie pan with non-stick cooking spray or oil and place pie crust in pan. Using a fork, prick bottom of the crust in 3 separate places to prevent bubbles from forming.
- Pour the sweet potato batter on piecrust evenly. Place in oven for about 20 minutes.
- Remove pie from oven and stick toothpick or knife in center. If it comes out clean, remove the pie from the oven and allow it to cool. If batter still appears on toothpick or knife, place back in the oven for 5 minutes at a time until toothpick or knife comes out clean.
- After the pie has cooled, slice it into 10 pieces. If you desire, add whipping cream. Enjoy!