A sugar cookie is probably the most basic cookie, simply made with flour, sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla. These sugar cookie bars use the same basic cookie dough, but instead of making cookies we are making bars that are coated with a delicious almond-flavoured frosting. Try them... they do taste as yummy as they sound!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Sliced almonds
Sugar Cookie Bars directions:
- Lightly grease a 22 cm x 33 cm baking pan.
- Line with parchment paper so the paper overhangs the edges.
- In a large bowl, stir the flour with the baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the butter with the sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in the egg, egg yolk and vanilla.
- Slowly add the flour mixture until fully incorporated.
- Press mixture into bottom of prepared pan.
- Chill for 30 minutes and preheat the oven to 175 C.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until set in the center and edges are lightly golden.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- Using an electric mixer, whip butter until light and fluffy.
- Beat in powdered sugar, milk and almond extract on low speed until smooth.
- Spread over cooled cookie bars. Sprinkle with almonds.
- Cut into 32 pieces.
What did you think of this recipe? Please let us know by commenting or star rating this post, below.