Snails are considered a traditional Maltese dish, with recipes such as snail stew and snails with garlic. In parts Italy, too, snails are a popular dish. This particular recipe comes from the north, from Trentino Alto Adige. It is a simple recipe, although it takes a bit long to prepare.
Time : 3 hours
For 4 persons
- 5kg snails
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 cups red wine
- 2 slices of bacon, chopped
- Extra virġin olive oil
- Salt and freshly-ground pepper
- Clean the snails. Boild in water for 15 minutes, clean insude and chop into pieces.
- Heat some oil in a pan and lightly fry the onion, garlic and celery, along with the bacon.
- Add the snails and the wine and let the wine evaporate. Cover completely with warm water and add the herbs. Cover the saucepan and let the snails cook slowly over a low flame for two and a half hours
Have you tried this recipe? How did you like it? Leave your comments below and please remember to like and share this article.