This is a lovely and unusual soup with a good smoky flavour from the roasted peppers. It is gluten free as it is thickened with potatoes.
- 2 pints water
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 2 small carrots, chopped
- A bunch of basil leaves
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 4 peppers
- 1 large potato
- Salt and pepper
- Remove the seeds from the peppers and cut into halves.
- Place them on a baking tray lightly brushed with olive oil and put them into the oven for 6-8mins at 180C, until the skins just start to look charred.
- Place the water and stock cube in a saucepan and add the chopped carrots, potato, onion and garlic.
- Bring to the boil and cook for 5 mins.
- Turn down the heat to a gentle simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until the vegetables become tender.
- Remove the peppers from the oven and, when cool enough to handle, put them into a sealed plastic bag and let them cool.
- Once they have cooled, remove from the bag and peel off the charred skin.
- Chop the flesh into small pieces and add to the saucepan, simmering for a further 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and and add the fresh basil.
- Whizz everything together with a hand held blender, taste and check for seasoning.
- Serve with a drizzle of basil oil.
Did you like this recipe? Leave your comments below and please rate and share to help us bring you more of the recipes you enjoy.