Makes approximately 24
- 200 g Arborio Rice
- 100 g White Sugar
- 500 ml Water
- Half Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Few Drops Vanilla Essence
- 200 ml Evaporated milk
- 50 g c flour
- 50 g dried fruits
- 50 g mixed candied peel
For the batter, whisk or blend together:
- 300g Flour plain
- 20 g yeast
- 1 egg
- half teaspoon salt
- 200 ml fresh milk
- Few Drops of white vinegar
- Simmer the rice together with the water, cinnamon, lemon zest and vanilla until all of the water is absorbed.
- Mix the cornflour with the evaporated milk and add to the rice. Add the candied peel and dried fruits. Let the mixture become completely cold.
- In the meantime, mix the batter and let it rise in a warm place, covered with a wet tea towel.
- Form the rice into finger sized portions, pass through flour, then through the batter, and fry. The batter can be adjusted with more liquid or more flour, according to preference. The thicker the batter, the more will stick to the Zeppole. When forming the rice mixture into fingers, wet your hands all the time to prevent them from sticking to your hands.
- When you have the fried Zeppole, drizzle with honey and chopped roasted almonds. Can be eaten warm, but also at room temperature.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Leave your comments below and please rate and share to help us bring you more of the recipes you like.