Keizo Shimamoto created the Ramen Burger last year - a beef burger sandwiched between two craftily formed buns made from freshly cut ramen noodles - and I made a pork version.
- 350 g good pork mince
- 2 tbsp soy sauce for pork plus two tbsp for the noodle ‘buns’
- 2 tbsp sweet chili sauce plus two tbsp to top the cooked meat burger
- A drizzle of fish sauce
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 2 tbsp torn up fresh coriander
- Egg noodles
- ½ egg white, mixed well with a fork
- Lamb's lettuce
- Mix the pork mince with the soy sauce, sweet chilli, grated ginger, fish sauce and coriander.
- Boil some water. Place the noodle nests in a bowl with a flat bottom, immerse in boiling water and cover. Do not stir as you need to retain the circular compact shape as much as possible.
- Heat a non stick pan over moderate heat with a drizzle of oil and place two egg rings on top of the pan.
- With a flat spatula lift each nest and drain the water - try to retain the shape - gently place each nest in the circular egg ring on the pan and press down.
- Drizzle some soy sauce cover the noodles, then take a fork dipped in the egg white and drizzle a few drops onto the noodles as they cook. Do not overdo it; when mine were cooked there was no retrace of egg visible. You need the egg white rather than the whole egg so that it retains its color and does not leave an eggy aftertaste.
- Flip over the noodle nest to cook the other side. I removed the egg ring at this stage as mine retained their shape. Cooking the noodles on gentle heat in the rings until the surface slightly crisps to a golden colour, leaving a moist and soft centre.
- Cooked on both sides, the noodle 'bun' is placed in kitchen towel to absorb any extra fat.
- The pork mince burger mix (step 1) are cooked in the same rings to have the same size as the bun.
- The burger is then assembled, placing the noodle bun on the plate first, followed by some lamb's lettuce. the burger and the other noodle 'bun' on top.
- Add a dash of chili sauce and it is ready to serve.
Do you like this recipe? Leave your comments below and please rate and share to help us bring you more of the recipes you like.