Aqra din ir-riċetta bil-Malti: Quiche bil-ħaxix aħdar
In this recipe we use three types of vegetables: broccoli, marrows and peas. If you prefer, you can change one of the ingredients with another type of green vegetable.
Preparation: 20 min
Total time: 1 hour 25 min
Serves: 8 persons
- 500 g short crust pastry
- 25 g Parmesan cheese, grated
- 30 g pine nuts, roasted
- Handful of fresh basil leaves
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 long marrows, divided lengthwise then thinly sliced
- 200 g broccoli florets, small
- 6 eggs
- 250 ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 85 ml double cream
- 100 g frozen peas
You will also need a bag of dried beans, any kind will do; they will be used to hold the pastry in place while blind baking. You may keep a bag of beans for this sole purpose in the fridge to use as required.
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Grease a flat cake tin of 26 cm diameter with oil or butter.
- Open the dough sufficiently and line the tin with the dough.
- Pierce the bottom of the pastry with a fork, cover with baking paper and place the dried beans inside; bake for 15 minutes. Remove the beans and paper and bake for a further 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the Parmesan cheese and the pine nuts in a food processor until the nuts are broken into small pieces.
- Add the basil, the lemon juice and half the oil and combine into a paste.
- Heat the rest of the oil in a frying pan on moderate heat, fry the broccoli for 5 minutes or until they have softened a little.
- Add the marrows and continue to fry for 5 minutes or until the vegetables start to brown.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and add the stock, double cream and basil paste; beat all together.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pastry and spread the vegetable mixture.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the egg mixture is cooked.
Do you like this recipe? Leave your comments below and please rate and share to help us bring you more of the recipes you like.