For the pastry:
- 400 g/14 oz flour
- 200 g/8 oz margarine
- 1 tsp baking powder
- A pinch of salt
For the filling:
- 250 g/ ½ lb rikotta
- 1 egg
For the glaze:
- 1 beaten egg
- To prepare the dough, mix flour, baking powder and salt in a basin, rub in the margarine.
- Add enough water to form a dough. Roll out the pastry, and cut using a round 18 cm/7 inches pastry cutter.
- Prepare the filling by mixing in the egg with the rikotta.
- Taking the ricotta mixture, place some in the centre of each pastry circle.
- Brush the pastry ends with the beaten egg, gather the edges towards the centre, leaving it uncovered over the rikotta filling.
- Brush pastry with the beaten egg and bake for 20 minutes or till golden in a moderate oven.
Photographs have been taken by Matthew Cauchi and food has been cooked at Gululu restaurant by Neville Gauci
What do you think of this recipe? Leave your comments below and please rate and share to help us bring you more of the recipes you like.