Aqra bil-Malti: Riċetta: Insalata tal-patata u bajd
A seaside salad for those that don't vegetables much; although you may also serve this on a bed of mixed lettuce to make a complete and more decorative dish.
Time: 45 minutes
Serves: 4 people
- 4 eggs
- 600 g white potatoes, peeled and diced in 2 cm
- Onion, chopped
- 150 g bacon, chopped
- Spoon olive oil
- Spoon lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 150 g soft cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil or parsley, chopped
- Salt and fresh ground pepper
- Place the potatoes in a saucepan, fill it with water and boil on moderate heat until it softens without crumbling. Sieve the potatoes to get rid of the water.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, place the eggs, fill with water and boil for 9 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the onion and bacon until they start to brown.
- Place the potatoes in a large bowl, add the bacon and onions.
- In a small bowl beat together the lemon juice, mayonnaise, soft cheese, basil or parsley, salt and pepper. Add this mixture to the potatoes and mix gently until the potatoes are coated.
- Peel and divide each egg in four lengthways and place them on the potatoes. Cool for two hours in the refrigerator before serving.