Read this recipe in Maltese: Riċetta: Suflè tal-lumi servut bi krema taċ-ċikkulata bajda
The period between the end of winter and the beginning of spring brings with it an abundance of lemons. We start choosing sweet and savoury foods which are light and fresh, and for this reason, this lemon soufflé is perfect for this period.
Preparation: 25 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
- 30 g butter
- 60 g caster sugar
- Grated zest of 1 and a ½ lemons
- 2 tablespoons of sifted flour
- 250 ml hot milk
- 2 eggs; separate yolks and whites
- 2 egg whites
- Tablespoon of lemon juice
- Icing sugar, to decorate
For the white chocolate cream:
- 125 ml single cream
- 100 g white chocolate, broken up in pieces
- Grated zest of half a lemon
- Preheat the oven to a temperature of 200°C. Grease 4 200ml ramekins or similar ovenproof containers with a bit of oil.
- Heat a pan on a medium fire and add the butter, caster sugar and lemon zest. Mix them until the mixture starts to melt then add the flour and keep mixing for another minute. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Beat in the milk and put the pan back on the fire until the mixture starts to boil then thicken. Lower the heat and simmer for a minute.
- Add the egg yolk and the lemon juice and mix them in well. Remove from the heat and let the mixture cool down.
- In a clean bowl, beat the 4 egg whites until the mixture becomes cloudy and fluffy. Combine it to the lemon mixture slowly, using a tablespoon.
- Pour the mixture into the 4 ramekins and bake it for 15-20 minutes until the soufflé puffs up and turns golden.
- In the meantime prepare the chocolate cream. In a small pan, heat up the cream, remove it from the heat then add the chocolate and lemon zest. Mix it until the chocolate melts.
- Sift some icing sugar on top and serve the soufflé with the white chocolate cream.
Did you try this recipe? Did you like it? Leave your comments and rating below and click share to help us continue to bring you more of the recipes that you like.