The pork on the island is of an outstanding quality and flavour. If you are a visitor here or enjoying a short break on the island do make sure you ask for local pork whether you are dining out or have your own facilities to prepare your meals and you will see the difference and understand why I love using it. I am using boneless hock (Xikel) and this is one of the cheaper cuts.
You will need:
- 1 boneless Ham hock, cut into chunks
- 1 large onion,
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/5 cabbage shredded (this is optional, i left out today as one diner does not like it )
- 1/4 cauliflower
- 1 zucchini
- 1 local sausage skin off (if you do not live on the island use continental)
- 250g chopped pumpkin
- 1 kohl rabi, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup barley
- 2 large tins Tomatoes
- 2 spoons tomato paste
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 tomatoes chopped
- 4 potatoes, washed, chopped with skin on
- Bay leaf
- Sage, a few leaves
- One glass of wine, i used white
- Olive oil
- Capers and parsley to garnish (optional)
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, squeeze of lemon to serve
Use a large ovenproof pot to sweat the onion in a drizzle of olive oil, add the garlic, then the hock pieces. Cook them on look heat. Add the vegetables, then the tomatoes. Cook on very low heat and stir. Add the chopped tomatoes. Add the bay leaf, herbs and the wine. Add the potatoes. Mix in the barley. Remove from heat. Break up the sausage meat and drop it in bits on top. Cover and cook in a pre-heated oven at 160 C for 1 hour 15 minutes. After 35 minutes in the oven check and add some hot water if necessary. Do not let it dry out.
Season. Remove and leave to rest covered for 5 to 10 minutes. Garnish with capers and chopped parsley.
I served with couscous.
Have you tried this recipe? Please tell us what you thought of it by star rating it or by commenting on it, below.