Polenta is naturally gluten free. There is no reason today why anyone needs to restrict themselves from enjoying the same dishes as everyone else. In fact my gluten free recipes are adapted for the palate of the whole family so that special diets can be followed with minimal fuss within a family environment, with everyone eating the same meals... And cakes!
- 50 g quick cook polenta
- 150 g dark chocolate, broken down into pieces
- Quarter teaspoon oil
- 6 eggs separated
- 180 g sugar
- 120 g ground almonds
- 60 g gluten free self raising flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon instant coffee
- 3 drops good vanilla extract
- 22 cm cake tin, greased or covered with baking paper
- Cocoa powder or icing sugar for dusting the top of the cake
- Cover polenta with 120 ml water, stir and allow to absorb the water and cool, stirring occasionally so that the mixture does not set.
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave for 30 seconds each time. After each 30 seconds take out and stir until it has fully melted. Add quarter of a teaspoon of oil and put aside.
- Whisk the egg yolks, add the sugar and carry on whisking until the mixture is thick and has become paler. Beat in the chocolate then fold in the polenta, ground almonds, gluten free flour and vanilla.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff. Fold gently in to the chocolate mixture a little at a time using a metal spoon.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking tray and bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean on testing.
- Dust with icing sugar.
What did you think of this recipe? Did you try it? Please star rate or comment in the space below.