Gingerbread men are the classic, but they are not the all-in-all when it comes to ginger-flavoured goodies. This cake is quick and easy to make and can be cut into squares to make the individual portions.
- 150 g butter
- 175 g soft brown sugar
- 1 tbsp treacle
- 225 g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 150 ml skimmed milk
- 2 eggs beaten
- Orange zest (grated rind of an orange)
- Preheat oven to 170 C.
- Grease a 23 cm square cake tin or line with baking paper.
- Melt the butter and dissolve the sugar in a saucepan over low heat, then add the treacle and leave to cool.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate and spices in a bowl.
- Stir in the milk, beaten egg and cooled down liquid mixture.
- Mix gently together and pour the batter into the cake tin.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until a fine skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool, cut into squares and serve.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Please leave your comments below and kindly rate and share to help us bring you more of the recipes you enjoy.