If you may not feel too comfortable with baking and have experienced several flops, then perhaps frozen desserts are your department. They are easy to put together and difficult to get wrong. Most frozen sweets are so delicious that some prefer them to baking any day. Try out this Frozen Pineapple Cream Cheese Torte by following this recipe below.
Makes 10 to 12 servings
- 1 1/4 cups (about 150g) ground gingersnaps
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 350g cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup chopped fresh or crushed pineapple, drained well
- 1 1/4 cups whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons dark rum (or to taste)
- In a medium bowl, combine gingersnaps and panko. Add melted butter and stir until crumbs are evenly moistened. Press into bottom of 8 or 9-inch springform pan.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1/4 cup of the sugar and beat again until stiff peaks form.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and remaining 1/2 cup of sugar until smooth. Add egg yolks and beat well.Mix in pineapple and vanilla.
- In another medium bowl, beat cream until whipped. Fold egg whites into cream cheese mixture, then fold in whipped cream.
- Pour filling over crust and freeze until set, about five hours or overnight.