Although not as well-known on the island, this delicious rich fruit cake is a traditional Easter cake in the UK and it is worth trying out!
- 500 g ready made almond paste (***marzipan)
- 450 g mixed fruits of your choice
- 80 g candied peel
- 225 g flour
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 150 g butter
- 175 g sugar
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- Juice of one orange
- Grated rind of one lemon
- Grated rind of one orange
- A few drops vanilla
- 2 tbsp apricot jam
- Line a 20 cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Divide the almond paste into 3. Take one portion and roll it to a round the size of the cake tin.
- Mix the dried fruits and candied peel with the flour, salt and spices in a bowl.
- In another large bowl, cream the butter with the sugar until light and fluffy. Add the beaten egg to the butter mixture and mix in.
- Fold in the flour, fruit and rest of the ingredients into the egg mixture.
- Put half of the cake mixture into the tin, smooth and cover with the round of almond paste. Put the remaining cake mixture into the tin and smooth the surface.
- Bake at 150°C for an hour.
- Roll another third of almond paste, again to the size of the tin. Make the remaining almond paste equally into 11 tiny balls.
- Once the cake is completely cool, remove from the tin and brush the top of the cake with apricot jam and cover with the disc of almond paste.
- Place the 11 tiny balls of paste evenly around the edge. Brush the paste all over with a little apricot jam and place under a hot grill until lightly browned.
- Decorate with a ribbon around the cake.
Do you like this recipe? Leave your comments below and please rate and share to help us bring you more of the recipes you like.