This is a useful recipe to use up left over cake but you can also make this delicious chocolate one from scratch. I like using ready made chocolate frosting for this recipe as it has the right texture for the balls to hold together and, if you are using left over cake, this makes an extremely quick chocolatey treat.
For the cake:
- 100 g butter
- 100 g sugar
- 100 g self raising flour
- 25 g walnuts, broken into pieces
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 150 g ready made chocolate fudge frosting
- 3 eggs
- 25 g cocoa powder
For the coating:
- 250 g dark chocolate
- 1 spoon oil
- 50 g walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Cream the butter and sugar with an electric whisk. Beat in the eggs a little at a time.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder. Add the walnuts. Fold into the egg batter.
- Spoon into a greased tin and bake for 30 minutes. Leave to cool.
- Remove from tin and break up the cake into pieces.
- Using a hand blender, whizz the cake pieces until it looks like fine breadcrumbs; if you are using ready made cake, add the walnut pieces at this stage.
- Add the fudge and mix until the mixture is well-combined.
- Roll the cake mix into small balls. Place them on a dish covered with baking paper and refrigerate for at least an hour .
- Melt the dark chocolate. Add a spoon of oil. Mix well.
- Dip the chocolate balls one by one in the melted chocolate until they are fully covered.
- Place the cake balls on the baking tray and before they solidify, top each ball with a piece of walnut.
- Store in the refrigerator until serving time.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Leave your comments below and please rate and share to help us bring you more of the recipes you like.