Recipe by Mark Weston
For the candied bacon:
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp chili powder (not essential since the cake contains chili - but good if you are only making candied bacon)
- 200 g thinly sliced streaky bacon
- 250 g brown sugar
For the chili chocolate and coffee cheesecake base:
- 250g Digestive biscuits
- 120g Remia Gold margarine
For the chili chocolate and coffee cheesecake filling:
- 450g cream cheese - softened
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 400g (1 can) Frisian Flag sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup thick (double) cream
- 2 tbsp instant coffee
- 2 tsp gelatine
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 180g Cadbury Bournville chocolate
- Cadbury cocoa powder and icing sugar to dust
For the candied bacon:
- Mix sugar and spices in a bowl.
- Coat bacon with the mix and place on a wire rack (place over oven dish to catch drips).
- Heat oven to 180-200C - cook for approx 15 mins, checking after 10.
- Let cool + place in fridge to harden up.
- Once cake is set you can chop the bacon to the correct size.
- Eat leftover candied bacon!
For the chili chocolate and coffee cheesecake:
- Crush all the digestives - pulse in food processor
- Melt Remia Gold margarine and mix into biscuit crumbs until evenly absorbed
- Press into 20cm spring form tin (I used 26cm one this time to keep it a little flatter)
- Leave into fridge to let the base set.
- Mix cream cheese, Frisian flag sweetened condensed milk and the spices until they are just mixed. Add coffee to the boiling water, followed by the gelatine.
- Melt the Cadbury Bournville chocolate in a water bath until it all gets soft - it will stay slightly rough and lumpy so don't worry! - let it cool slightly
- Add the coffee/gelatine mix and the chocolate to the cream cheese - mix until well distributed - the chocolate should be small and lumpy and evenly mixed with the cream cheese taking a nice light chocolate colour
- Softly whip the cream and then fold into the main mixture
- Pour over base and leave to set for 3 hours minimum
- Decorate by sing the candied bacon to wrap the outside of the cake. Add a fresh red chili on top and dust with cocoa/icing sugar to get your desired effect!
This recipe is part of a competition organised by The Kċina on Facebook. To vote, please visit and 'like' our Facebook page and then 'like' your favourite recipe in the appropriate album.