A light warming soup as a starter or as a complete weekday evening meal.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 250 g chicken pieces of your choice, chopped, or the remains of a roast chicken
- 1 cup barley
- 8 cups stock made from chicken or use a natural stock cube
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 kohlrabi (gidra), peeled and chopped
- 1 medium courgette, chopped
- 1 fresh fennel, chopped, use all of it including leaves
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
- A bunch of fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 tbsp grated hard ġbejna
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley chopped, keep for garnish
- Salt and pepper if desired
- Heat the oil, add the barley and cook, stirring constantly, until lightly toasted, about 4 minutes.
- Add the stock, vegetables, spices, chicken and herbs, except the fresh parsley.
- Bring to boil; reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the barley is tender, for about half an hour. Season the soup if required.
- Turn off heat and allow to rest for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with mint and grated ġbejna.
Do you like this recipe? Leave your comments below and please rate and share to help us bring you more of the recipes you like.
To find out whether the veg you need is in season, refer to this list of seasonal fruit and vegetables.