Are you a cheese lover? Then you may already know the pleasures of combining the strong flavours of cheese with the mild sweet flavours of fruit such as grapes and apples. In a multi-course dinner, Italians typically enjoy cheese and fruit prior to having dessert. This recipe for a cheddar apple crisp wonderfully combines both.
Makes: 8 servings
- 4 cups apples (crisp and tart such as Braeburn), peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 plus 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed, divided
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 175 C.
- Combine apples, lemon juice and 1/3 cup brown sugar. Arrange in buttered 20-22cm square pan.
- Combine dry ingredients and cut in butter until mixture is crumbly; gently mix in cheese.
- Sprinkle evenly over apple mixture.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Serve with ice cream or whipped cream, garnish with shredded cheese.