Recipe by Elaine Gatt
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup (230 g) Remia Gold margarine
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup (115g) Remia Gold margarine
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 small can Frisian Flag sweetened condensed milk
- coconut flakes
- amaretto biscuits
Preheat oven 180degrees
For the shortbread:
- Whisk flour and baking powder in bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat the butter and sugar until it is well combined.
- Proceed to gradually add dry ingredients and beat again, until combined.
- Transfer dough to pan and press to form even later over the bottom.
- Cook until you get a golden/light brown hue.
- Take out of oven and press down with spatula (or by hand if it is easier) if it has risen too much.
For the caramel:
- Combine the Remia Gold margarine, sugar, honey and condensed milk in a saucepan.
- Set over medium heat and stir occasionally until Remia Gold margarine is melted.
- Increase to medium-high heat and bring to boil, stirring to make sure it doesn't clump.
- Once it starts thickening, bring heat down to low and simmer till you get a light caramel colour. This should take about 13-15mins.
- Make sure the shortbread has cooled down completely before adding caramel on top.
- Allow to cool then stick it in the fridge and leave overnight.
For the chocolate:
- Break Cadbury Bournville chocolate into small pieces and heat in microwave until melted. Use 20 second intervals and stir every time.
- Pour melted chocolate over chilled caramel and spread into an even layer ( I added some coconut flakes as we are all coconut fans)
This recipe is part of a competition organised by The Kċina on Facebook. To vote, please visit and 'like' our Facebook page and then 'like' your favourite recipe in the appropriate album.