Fed up of the usual beef burgers? Try these delicious beef and mushroom patties flavoured with red wine, topped with cheese and served in a burger bun for a quick, easy and tasty snack.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 6 to 8 minutes
Makes: 8 servings
- 450g lean ground beef (preferably grass fed)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped baby bella mushrooms
- 1/4 cup minced shallots or red onion
- 1/4 cup sweet red wine such as Merlot
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup shredded aged Gouda cheese
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 8 brioche, ciabatta or burger buns
- 8 thin Roma tomato slices
- 4 strips cooked cherry wood or apple wood smoked bacon, broken into quarters
- Baby rucola leaves
- Using your hands, mix beef, mushrooms, shallots, wine, rosemary, Dijon and salt in a medium bowl.
- Shape into 8 very flat patties.
- Grill, broil or pan fry for 3 minutes.
- Turn and top with cheese; cook for 2 minutes more.
- Serve on lightly toasted rolls with tomato, bacon and rucola.
Recipe tip: Dress rucola with a bit of olive oil and balsamic for extra flavor.