Aqra din ir-riċetta bil-Malti: Bakkaljaw bil-patata, żebbuġ u bajd mgħolli
Although cod is not commonly used in Maltese kitchens these days, in it is still available to purchase from the fish market in Marsaxlokk. If you have never tried it yourself, try this recipe for baked cod with potatoes, olives and eggs... it may just become one of your favourite dishes!
Time: 1 hour 45 min, plus 24 hours soaking time
- 500 g salted cod, without the skin
- Warm milk, if required
- 700 g potato, peeled
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, cut in thin strips
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- ½ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 20 black olives in oil
- 2 hard boiled eggs, cut in rounds
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Place the cod in a bowl and cover with water, cover the bowl and place in the fridge for 24 hours.
- Drain the cod, rinse it with cold water and place in a saucepan. Cover with water bring to the boil on moderate heat. Reduce the flame and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until it starts to break easily when prodded with a fork.
- Drain the cod and allow to cool. Break it up with your hands and remove the fish bones. Taste it and, if it is still too salty, soak it again in the milk for half an hour, then drain.
- Place the potatoes in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil on high flame for 10-15 minutes or until a fork can easily be inserted. Drain and cool then cut into rounds about ½ cm thick.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan on moderate heat.
- Add the onion and fry for 6 minutes until it starts to turn golden.
- Add the garlic and fry for 2 minutes. Remove the garlic and onion from the pan with a slotted spoon and place on a plate.
- In the same frying pan, heat 3 additional tabelspoons olive oil and place the potatoes in the pan. Fry for 5-8 minutes, turning from time to time so that it does not stick to the pan. Remove from heat.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Grease a 28cm x 18cm oven dish with oil.
- Spread the potato on the dish and cover with half of the cod.
- Place half the onions in the dish and sprinkle with parsley and freshly ground black pepper. Repeat with another layer in a similar way and sprinkle with the last tablespoon of oil.
- Roast for 25 minutes. Garnish with olives and boiled egg.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Leave your comments below and please rate and share to help us bring you more of the recipes you like.